Porcelain tile is a type of ceramic tile that is denser and less porous. It is fired at a temperature higher than your typical ceramic tile. Porcelain tile is a great option because it is stain and impact resistant. In addition, it is easy to clean and available in several different styles and colors. Porcelain tiles can be used for backsplashes, walls and floors. If you are considering porcelain tile for your home or business in Los Angeles, it is suggested that you have an expert, like the professionals at MGM Marble, do the installing because it requires a special setting material that is designed to adhere to its non-porous composition. Many times people who try to install porcelain by themselves end up purchasing the wrong setting material and it does not adhere correctly.
Porcelain is manufactured from a type of clay that is heavy in a mineral known as kaolinite. Clay that is rich in kaolinite is typically called China clay. This type of clay contains minerals including feldspar, silica and mineral oxides that give it strength.
Popular Reasons for Choosing Porcelain:
- It is available in a wide variety of colors and patterns
- It comes in several different finishes
- You can order it in large slab sizes
- It is 30% stronger than granite
- Each slab is lightweight
- Porcelain countertops can be installed over existing ones
- They do not require sealing
- They are easy to clean
- Porcelain is heat resistant
- Since it is made from clay, it is a green product that can be recycled
If you are considering porcelain tile in your home, call MGM Marble today! We offer free consultations and can answer any questions you may have.